Las Vegas Family Orthodontics
Serving Children, Teens & Adults
Dr. Tomlin believes everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy orthodontic care and healthy, beautiful smiles.
At Mountain West Dental Specialists, we’re proud to offer a full range of orthodontics for children, teens, and adults at our office in Las Vegas.
Orthodontics for Children
While there is no exact age for children to begin orthodontic treatment, the American Association of Orthodontists and Dr. Allison Tomlin recommend visiting an orthodontist around age seven.
By this age, most children around Las Vegas have a mix of baby and adult teeth, making it easier for Dr. Tomlin to diagnose and correct tooth and jaw problems sooner and without surgery.
Early Treatment Allows Dr. Tomlin To:
- Correct and guide the growth of your child’s jaw to help the permanent teeth come in straight
- Regulate the width of the upper and lower arches
- Create more space for crowded teeth and avoid the need for permanent tooth extractions later in life
- Lower risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
- Correct harmful habits such as thumb sucking and help improve minor speech problems
Parents: it’s not always easy to know if your child may need orthodontic treatment.
Signs Your Child Should See Dr. Tomlin:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- A hard time chewing or biting food
- Mouth breathing
- Finger or thumb sucking
- Crowded, misplaced, or blocked teeth
- Jaws that pop or make sounds when opening and closing
- Teeth that come together abnormally or not at all
- Jaws and teeth that are not proportionate to the rest of the face
- Crowded front teeth around age seven or eight
Please contact Mountain West Dental Specialists to schedule a free consultation appointment and Dr. Tomlin will give your child an orthodontic evaluation. Early treatment at MWDS will give your child a healthy and beautiful smile for the future.
Orthodontics for Teens
So you need braces—what now? Don’t worry! Braces aren’t nearly as scary as you may think.
Braces come in various styles, materials, and colors, making life with braces much easier, more comfortable, and even more stylish than in the past.
How Long Will I Have to Wear Braces?
The amount of time it takes to treat your smile with braces depends on three key factors:
Early treatment allows Dr. Tomlin to monitor the growth of the jaw and recommend further orthodontic treatment if it becomes necessary. Not everybody receives early orthodontic treatment at Mountain West Dental Specialists. In some cases, Dr. Tomlin may recommend waiting on treatment.
What Needs Correction?
The amount of treatment necessary to correct a problem will determine how long the process takes. Everyone reacts to treatment differently, so treatment times can vary depending on how quickly your body responds and how much work is needed to give you the show-stopping smile you expect.
Your willingness to use the appliances Dr. Tomlin gives you plays a significant role in the length of time it takes to complete your treatment. Always take care of your braces and appliances; this will help shorten your treatment!
Braces Your Way!
At Mountain West Dental, we offer a variety of braces, types, and styles to choose from, including:
- LightForce 3D ceramic braces
- Clear aligners (Invisalign)
- Traditional metal braces
Braces are a big part of life for many teens around Las Vegas. While braces may have had a bad reputation in the past, today’s braces make it easy to look good and feel good! Please contact MWDS to schedule your next orthodontic checkup.
Orthodontics for Adults
Orthodontic treatment at Mountain West Dental Specialists is no longer just for teens. The American Association of Orthodontists states that one in five orthodontic patients is over 21.
Many adults receive treatment from Dr. Tomlin because they understand the importance of maintaining their health and want to feel better about their appearance.
Adults all around Las Vegas are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care at MWDS, and now you can too.
Common Reasons for Adults Orthodontics
- A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly causing tooth decay and gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain, or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
- The desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Treatment Options for Adults
For many adults around Las Vegas, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. However, our orthodontic treatment options at Mountain West Dental Specialists give you a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs.
Types of braces include:
- LightForce 3D clear ceramic braces
- Clear aligners (Invisalign)
- Traditional metal braces
Differences Between Adult & Teen Orthodontics
The main difference between treating adults versus children and teens is that the facial complex in younger patients is still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may mean the possibility of orthognathic surgery to align the dental arches. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease)—Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth—Over time, teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that we can only correct with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen—Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they chose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy and beautiful smile they always wanted.
Mountain West Dental Specialists also recognize that adults and children have different needs and require different levels of attention and care. Dr. Tomlin works with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments and that we meet your needs with understanding and respect from us.
Why Should You Think About Orthodontic Treatment?
Straight Teeth Are Healthy Teeth
Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing and may help prevent other health problems.
A Beautiful, Straight Smile Builds Confidence
Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
Mouths Left Untreated Can Get Worse
Not receiving orthodontic treatment when needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
Start With a Free Consultation
There are many treatment options these days, and Dr. Tomlin has the specialized education and experience to consider all possibilities based on variables like your age, possible jaw imbalances, differences in the size of your teeth, and more.
Visit Mountain West Dental Specialists, and we’ll discuss your options and develop an orthodontic treatment plan for your needs and smile goals.